Exercise to show personal prejudice and conditioning
The Fall-Out Shelter Problem
Assume that the world has world has suffered a major catastrophe because of a Nuclear Holocaust. There are only 10 survivors. The resources available can only sustain 6 people. You have the difficult task to make a decision, which 6 will go in the shelter so they can survive and continue the human race.
- A 16 year old girl of questionable IQ, who is a high school drop out and is pregnant.
- Policeman with gun (they can not be separated).
- Rabbi, 52 year old.
- A 38 year old female physician who has recently had an operation, and is now unable to have children.
- A 45 year old male violinist who is an ex-convict. He has served seven years for pushing narcotics and has been out of jail for six months.
- A 20 year old black militant with no special skills.
- A 36 year old former prostitute, who retired four years ago.
- An architect who is a homosexual.
- A 26 year old male law student.
- The law students 25 year old wife who has spent the last nine months in a mental hospital and is still heavily sedated. They refuse to be separated.