Civil Learning Project
Seek out a conflict of interest to you to research. Begin by answering and summarizing the following bullet points. Continue building your research to write a paper that answers the questions below, as well as expanding on other questions, including how could the conflict have been better resolved, what other possible solutions could have come from the conflict, etc? A bibliography will be necessary with this project. At the end of the quarter, this project will be presented to the rest of the class as a final project. This research does not have to necessarily be published in a paper format, but all research presentation styles need to be pre-approved by Mr. Conn.
• Who are the groups involved in the conflict?
• What defines people as members of each of these groups (for example, their ancestry and history, the religion they practice, where they were born, where they live now, where they go to school, what they do for a living, what they do in their free time)?
• What is the history of the conflict according to each group involved? Do the histories agree? Where do they disagree?
• What are the conflicts between members of these groups?
• What need or interest do members of each group say is threatened or harmed by the other group(s)?
• Do members of each group believe that the other group(s) are threatening or harming them deliberately? If so, what do members of each group believe is motivating the other(s)? If not, what do members of each group believe is preventing members of the other group(s) from realizing that they are acting in threatening/harmful ways?
• How have leaders and members of each group attempted to deal with the groups they perceive as threatening them? Have these efforts helped any of the groups involved to meet their needs? Why or why not?
• What might leaders and members of each group do to meet their own needs while also respecting the needs of others? How could they apply the principles suggested in the framework to reduce or resolve the conflict?